Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Fun Trip With The Family

First stop... Las Vegas


Last week our family went on a fun trip with my parents and my uncle and aunt. My parents flew in from Missouri and then drove with us to Las Vegas. My uncle and aunt flew in from Alaska to meet us. We saw some of the Las Vegas sites. We watched a parade with all the race car rigs. They came down the main strip of Vegas honking their horns and waving. The kids loved it! They even had an Oatmeal pie thrown at them. What was that about I don't know; maybe they forgot the candy? ! @?

We did a little bit of walking on the strip. The M&M store was a big hit. Its one of our favorite candies. Corey told the kids that they could get some M&Ms. Annisten pulled the lever and never let go. Needless to say... I have never spent $30 on M&M and hope that it is the last time!



Hoover Dam


The Hoover Dam is pretty amazing. Just think, the dam was constructed in early 1930's; now that is crazy! Looking over the edge just makes the butterflies circle in my stomach. There is enough concrete (3.25 million cubic yards) in the Hoover Dam to circle around the earth's equator. It leaks 200,000 gallons of water every day- and that is normal?! The number one question that our tour guide has been asked is "Where did Chevy Chase leave his gum on the Hoover Dam?" Ha Ha  

The large bridge archway in construction is the new road. Could you imagine being the one to help build the thing?  Just the idea of driving over it in a car (once its completed of coarse) gives me the willies. 

Next stop, the Grand Canyon.

Going to the west side of the Grand Canyon was the highlight of the trip (besides being with family). Yeah I have heard that the Grand Canyon is amazing, but you will never really appreciated or understand its beauty unless you go to see it for yourself. The sight is a beautifully breath taking! My Dad took most of the pictures, but here is a few from our camera.



The Skywalk

The Skywalk at Eagle Point is 4,000 feet above the Colorado River at the Grand Canyon! It is a clear walkway that is jutting off the edge of the canyon. Once on it we could see the bottom of the canyon through the clear glass. It is actually not that think of material either. Supposedly it can hold the weight of 71 Boeing 747 airplanes, withstand 100 mile hour winds, and an 8.0 earthquake. So I guess the thing is safe. Man the crazy things people do for a rush and a great view! Hey I have to admit I was a bit timid to step out on that walkway. I know someone in the group who was more than timid, but I won't mention any names.


I pulled these pics from the internet. You are not allowed to take your camera out there on the skywalk.

Here is a site if you want to see for yourself what it is like out there (pics and video clip).
http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/skywalk.html - 

We had a great time and wished the weather was a little bit better for some hiking. Most of the fam ended up buying sweatshirts at the gift shop because of the cool weather. A little advise... eat before coming or purchase a meal ticket. Things are a little confusing and slow at the gift shop. Oh and make sure you check your receipt.!!! They tend to under charge you if your lucky (like my aunt) or if your Corey double charge you! 

All and all a great trip and no major disasters, which is rare on a family trip! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip. You have such a great family, and you guys always do so many fun things. Your kids will grow up having some pretty amazing memories of their childhood. I am so excited about spending the summer together. Can't wait to get these kids back together and start exploring!!

RSP said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! I still have never been to the Grand Canyon, how lame is that? I'll have to drive down there one day. Hopefully next time we can catch you on your way through town:)

Amy said...

Tiff, kids are getting so big! Loos like you hd a fun trip! i love those kind! It was fun to run into Corey at th gym. Good times! I miss you!